I have been reading hiker journals lately, including my own. While reading from the Stoic literature, I came upon this quote, from ancient Greece, that captures the essence of my years of hiking and research. Substitute hike for life and you should be good to go.
“Do not seek to have events happen as you want them to, but instead want them to happen as they do happen, and your life will go well”. -Epictetus, The Handbook (The Encheiridion)
- RT @dailystoic: "Difficulties show a person’s character." Epictetus ift.tt/2w2qaXB https://t.co/5euN1Wm0Jp 3 days ago
- Not so great for backpackers wrapping up a CDT hike though. twitter.com/lefsetz/status… 3 days ago
- RT @nytimes: Resist stereotypes about getting older and find ways to get the most out of life as you age, experts say https://t.co/ttTQ8snO… 3 days ago
- BG lived in Maine working the railroad before he found TheTrail. twitter.com/guthookhikes/s… 4 days ago
- RT @outsidemagazine: 137 wildfires. 7.8 million acres of burned land. This is not normal. bit.ly/2jpoA0j 4 days ago