Long before there were Spinning classes and suspension bicycles, Andy Hazen was riding. Up and down, all year round, churning out hundreds of miles a week, when most of us hope to get three or four rides in in any 7 day period.
In 2009, I loaned him a DVD named Ride The Divide. It was in the winter, and when it is particularly nasty out , Andy sets his bike up on a trainer and watches videos, where he prefers the Three Stooges. Something clicked in his mind while he was watching the video and when he handed it back to me, he said, “I am going to do this. ”
Never mind that he’s been at home for the past twenty years, tending Andrew’s Brewry, when I recall him taking just one weekend vacation, and that was up to Oquossoc, ME.
On May 25 Andy and I are hopping in his pickup truck and driving out to Montana, before he sets out on an acclimatizing ride from Whitefish to Banff, Canada and starts the adventure of a lifetime, the Tour Divide. I’ ll keep him company as we drive out to Livingston, MT where my son Lincoln has a house.
Last week, Deirdre Fleming and a staff photographer visited Lincolnville and spent some time interviewing the man himself.
Here’s the article.
- Jamrog Wedding Planners sourcing yellowstone River driftwood for altar #keepingitreal instagram.com/p/50ROnTw8uN/ 22 hours ago
- Return to Hiking the Best in the West: Absoroka Range/@Montana tjamrog.wordpress.com/2015/07/31/ret… http://t.co/NRycD9LRYZ 1 day ago
- RT @johncarter_net: MAN CAPTURES 2,660-MILE HIKE IN AMAZING THREE-MINUTE VIDEO tinyurl.com/nhjw6wx #Hike #Hiking #Backpacking #Outdoors … 1 day ago
- RT @Patriots: Today's #PatsPracticeYouWin prize is 2 tix to Pats-Packers & a Mayo signed ball courtesy of @nrgenergy! RT to enter: http://t… 1 day ago
- Flashback to today’s date in 2013 tjamrog.wordpress.com/2015/07/29/fla… http://t.co/vKqWTYcoIt 3 days ago