My friend Chris has supplied me with numerous outdoor gear leads over the years. His car is a rolling survivalist’s storage locker. Some of his recommendations have worked out ( Cabella’s winter jacket) and some have not ( big Agnes Air Core mattress).
The tiny Nanolight Streamlight is a best buy, a most useful tool, and has been with me 24/7 since December 2011. Mine is on a neck cord that I wear all the time, even in the shower. It’s definitely waterproof. The power comes from 4 tiny hearing aid batteries that cost more than the light itself if you buy them from a local discount drug store. Online battery supply houses sold me 16 of them for about $15. The light is surprisingly bright- definitely enough lumens to read a paperback in the dark.
You can buy them for under $10, online. I bought a half- dozen of them to give away as Christmas presents. I just gifted one to my hiking pal Guthook, and if you haven ‘t already done so, read his excellent backpacking blog – Guthook Hikes!
- RT @gangrey: Accused of embezzling $8.7 million and maybe offing wife No. 1, man spent SIX YEARS hiding on the Appalachian Trail: http://t.… 3 days ago
- Scott Jurek and the #AT Appalachian Trail #FKT tjamrog.wordpress.com/2015/07/03/sco… 4 days ago
- 2 of 5 stars to Natural Born Heroes by Christopher McDougall goodreads.com/review/show/13… 4 days ago
- Strava and Suffer Scores, at Six Months tjamrog.wordpress.com/2015/07/02/str… http://t.co/sHnkig93Ta 5 days ago
- Exercising inadequately, excessively, or just right ? tjamrog.wordpress.com/2015/06/26/exe… http://t.co/KAP8DSri8R 1 week ago