Day 1 on the AT from 5512′ Carver Gap to Doll Flats.
Got a shuttle that took 1 hour from La Quinta by TriCities airport that was arranged through the Kincora Hostel. Seiko did the job, driving like hell over the serpentine mountain roads. Worth the $75 to start hiking by 9 AM right here. He told me there were 40 hikers at the hostel last night where it went down to 28 degrees. and I just brought my 40 degree bag.
10.8 hard miles, hard walking if you haven’t done this in these steep mountains for a while. There was some snow on the ground and the trees and shrubs were coated with rime and ice. It was slippery and gloves were a must. Just walking all day, no music, lots of breaks to enjoy the steer views. Got up over 6,000 feet within two miles. Had a break 3 miles in at the Stan Murray Shelter after 90 minutes. A mile and a half later took the side trail to the empty Overemountain Shelter, over looking this huge valley between the giants. I met about 8 thru hikers today, including 4 young guys smoking roll yer own cigarettes. It’s a tradition.
Figured 2,500 feet of vertical this new day out. Definitely a 3 ibuprofen dose situation. Not convinced the belt on the replacement Arc’teryx pack is any good. Still keeps loosening up, sliding through the buckle. I waited 5 months for it to arrive and I still appears as bogus.
Great campsite tonight. I don’t even remember seeing it in 2007. At the edge of a grassy meadow. Wild Turkey calling here at sunset. Ate dehydrated pasta bows with ground turkey and tomato sauce. I made 2 meals worth last week . Just like real food.
I call today world class hiking. Jane Bald (5807), Little Hump (5459) and Hump (5587) mountaIns were like nothing I’ve seen in 4 years. I just sT on the to ms and stared off slack jawed thinking of the last time that MeGaTex rolled through here, as we were just learning the thru- hiking ropes.
- On being discovered via Seth Godin's Blog on marketing, tribes and respect - Wouldn't that be ... tinyurl.com/y7mjjw93 17 hours ago
- Not Day 6 East Coast Trail: Motion Path tjamrog.wordpress.com/2017/08/15/not… https://t.co/Y976TEnfbL 1 day ago
- Sloppy science via Seth Godin's Blog on marketing, tribes and respect - We can measure it. For ... tinyurl.com/y8ge5wfl 1 day ago
- Day 5 Eastern Trail : Retreat! tjamrog.wordpress.com/2017/08/13/day… 3 days ago
- Last night's campsite. Deluge after midnight, and logistical decision made to retreat to… instagram.com/p/BXvNvEJF7_j/ 3 days ago