I’s not alone in hoping for the chance to feel deeply around the holidays. As we move about our lives, often without a map or a clue, we encounter doors that we never expected. Today, one of those portals opened for me. You can diss social media, but today my chance came through Facebook, where my legislative representative, Andy O’Brien, posted a YouTube video of a song about Ellis Island, and immigrants coming to live in America at the turn of the last century: The Pogues- “Thousands Are Sailing”. All my grandparents were from Poland, and came here as mere teens, leaving their own families with hopes in their hearts for jobs, love, and homes of their own. It must have been so difficult. I thank them for my life this Thanksgiving.
- Closer to recreational hutting on the last official day of summer #lifeinmaine #mainecamps @… instagram.com/p/BZUNCUnFQ1Y/ 1 day ago
- RT @Strava: They say the best gifts are ones you make yourself ❤️ twitter.com/andrade_rico/s… 1 day ago
- RT @dailystoic: "Difficulties show a person’s character." Epictetus ift.tt/2w2qaXB https://t.co/5euN1Wm0Jp 5 days ago
- Not so great for backpackers wrapping up a CDT hike though. twitter.com/lefsetz/status… 5 days ago
- RT @nytimes: Resist stereotypes about getting older and find ways to get the most out of life as you age, experts say https://t.co/ttTQ8snO… 6 days ago