I used a Pocketmail device to type up a daily report on my 2007 AT Thru hike. Whenever I got to a land line phone, I sent an e-mail via the Pocketmail to my transcriber, who then posted it to Trailjournals.com. I may just ditch the Pocketmail, as I am very intrigued by the release of the MiFi today ( May 17, 2009) by Verizon. It would be a drop in weight ( MiFi = 2 oz.) , and mega step increase in utility. It appears that communication maybe be much simpler now for those of us who like to post trip writeups for others who closely follow our adventures. With the MiFi device, I could just carry my iPod Touch, and my Solio solar charger for both. You should be able to fire up the MiFi whereever there is a Verizon signal, and have an instant personal ( wireless) WiFi umbrella where ever you are. I’m going to check this out. The cost is not that bad if I can live with the $40 monthly charge for limited data transmission, which works out to $1.33 a day. You can have up to 5 people on it at one time. Maybe I can make friends easier out there if hikers know they can get a free WiFi hotspot if they hang around with me ( at least within a 25 foot range of my presence). Check out the following David Pogue NY Times article.
In the Path of Young Bulls details a team’s five-month-long stint of daily challenges along the Continental Divide National Scenic Trail, one of the USA’s toughest long-distance journeys. The book also serves as a resource for section and long-distance hikers in planning their own CDT adventures, by including daily mileages from starting and ending locations, as well as on-trail reports and conditions for each day’s hike.
$30.00 (plus tax)
286 pages, with over 50 pages of full color photos.
- @1MinHikeGirl Great couple articles on letterboxing. I had no idea. Another reason to hike! 23 minutes ago
- Technicolor vistas everywhere on today’s mountain bike ride. #lifeinmaine #fattire @ Levenseller… instagram.com/p/BaYljsbFTeT/ 1 day ago
- Chillin’ at Tanglewood Camp with Maine Coast Men. #lifeinmaine @ Camden Hills State Park instagram.com/p/BaRCYcAlWI6/ 3 days ago
- Pepper harvest last night in anticipation of frost. Portuguese Padrons on the right. Seeds from… instagram.com/p/BaMA-KhlBOi/ 5 days ago
- Make Your Own Multi-fuel Backpacking Stove tjamrog.wordpress.com/2017/10/13/mak… 5 days ago